2024 Mini Icicle Ride

`The other day I washed the track bike and as I put it away I noticed my Ninja 1000 looking forlornly at me, wondering when it too might receive some attention.  If it was hoping for a warm wash and a polish then it was to be disappointed as I decided that it was time for a decent ride as it had been way too long. 

So where does a (reasonably) sane person decide to ride in the middle of winter?  A 910km round trip to Glen Innes of course where the overnight temps are below zero - my mini icicle ride!  First stop  AMX to get a decent winter jacket and as it turned out they had a special going so I got $75 worth of gear for free by buying the jacket. Free gear included a thick neck warmer and some inner gloves.  Gave bike the once over and discovered a dead battery but good fortune intervened and my neighbour has the same bike with the same battery so after a polite request (and possibly the promise of duty free) the battery was fitted, aired the tyres and panniers packed the night before so all that was left the next morning was to dress and go. 



Boots, two pair of thick socks, thermal pants, RST textile pants with no ventilation and are actually quite warm, thermal top, t-shirt, winter jacked with thermal and windbreaker linings, neck warmer, winter gloves + inners and of course helmet.  

I departed home around 0830 and headed out via Beaudesert and then first stop Rathdowney for a bite to eat and a coffee A few fellow riders had stopped here for the same reason as it's far enough from Brisbane for a stop before heading south over the hills.  For a place with a reputation for being cold it wasn't too bad, about 14 degrees. 

My last foray into Woodenbong for a coffee was met with brutal disappointment, regret and a lingering taste of burnt milk so I turned left and headed straight down the Summerland Way bound for Casino for a fuel stop. 

Quick pitstop at the quaint hamlet of Wiangaree then onwards....






 On the way I passed through Kyogle which always strikes me as a place with a bustling 'cbd' and lots going on, not sure if that is actually true or not.  




No stop at Kyogle other than to take photos as only 30kms down the road is Casino which is well located for a refuelling stop. I decided to find something I didn't dislike about the place and can say that I succeeded as I found a nice little spot by the river where I had something to eat. Shame it was adjacent to a grotty toilet block and overflowing bins. 





Oh well.  Lunch and a drink then time to motor on.  The temp here was still 14 degrees so quite mild and I have been warm and toasty the whole way but the next leg across the Bruxner Hwy to Tenterfield involved a climb up onto the tablelands and drop in temp.  There were still plenty of damp patches of road going over the Richmond Range along with some sections of greasy road and a bit of slime for good measure - all conveniently located on the riding line through corners.  So slow and steady it was until the roads opened up again and I had a short pitstop in Drake to defuel and stretch the legs. 




As I pulled back onto the main road to head west some old bloke, beer in hand, crossing the highway signals me to wheelie up the road.  Yeah no. 

Later on as I approach Tenterfield I take the time to stop for some photos as I enjoy the real "New Englands" feeling of this area.  





Before we move on can we take a moment to admire this beast:


As I arrived in Tenterfield the bike told me it was 11 degrees. I was still toasty and warm but it was the next, and last, hour of the ride which would be the coldest.  The  New England Highway from Tenterfield to Glen Innes is in good condition and would be a sinch in a car but for a rider it is utterly devoid of character - plenty of straight lines, but the road took me to where i wanted to go so I rode it. 

Upon arrival in Glen Innes the bike told me it was 6 degrees (shortly after the BoM app told me the same but with a 'feels like' temp of 0.6 degrees and I believed them both).  I arrived at the pub, 'The Great Central" , parked my bike under the carport in the backyard with the hope of at least maybe keeping the frost off it as the overnight minimum temp was forecast to be -3 degrees.  




I wandered around to the front of the pub and discovered all the doors locked. Ye gods! I have arrived and I need a hot shower, cold drink around the fire and a meal - in that order.  Fortunately I saw a staff member through the window who let me in - I didn't remember from last time that there was a secret staff entrance with a mobile number on it.  Crisis averted! I unpacked the panniers and went to my room and it was at this stage I briefly questioned my choices as upon looking for the large reverse cycle aircon I found none, but I did find this:


A very small heater in a large room with high ceiling!  Fortunately the bed had electric blankets and , very surprisingly, the combination of both kept me warm all night. I freshened up and headed downstairs at 5pm which was opening time for the bar and kitchen.  I recalled from my last stay here that this pub had Deepwater Brewing beers on tap - Deepwater brewery being about 40kms up the road, located in.......Deepwater.   The thought of a cold stout while sitting around the fire had been in my mind all afternoon and here it was. 




The bar was deserted when I arrived however over the next couple of hours several groups of workers and locals alike dropped in for a drink or two, some for dinner and the atmosphere was quite cozy.  After a couple of rather strong stouts I had an excellent large meal of bangers and mash and vegetables after which I retired to my room for an early night.  I must have been tired because I woke up on the bed sometime later with the lights still on which I never do!   Into bed properly and a good sleep was had. 

Day 2

A lot less photos today as I had a slightly longer ride to get home along the Gwydir Highway up and over the Gibraltar Range to Grafton (an absolutely top level ride, one of the best roads I've ridden) then up the Summerland Way to Casino (boring) and Kyogle. After that was the magnificent Kyogle Rd from Kyogle Uki and from there a short ride to get onto the Pacific Hwy northbound and head for home. 

I did stop at the Heffron Lookout to take a couple of photos but that's it.  After that it was head down, bum up and chew up the kms.  








Thanks for reading. I hope you got as much enjoyment from reading as I got from riding but that would be highly unlikely!
















Comments

  1. Nice. Hope you had a Stout for me. 😁

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes I had yours and mine and another one just to be sure.

    ReplyDelete
  3. The crisp winter clear sky makes for great photos. I did a run up the Bruxner Hwy recently to Tenterfield for lunch, staying at Beaudesert cabin for 2 nights. First O/Nighter on the Transalp after cruise control fitted. Not the bike for it, but fun anyway.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes the New England area is magic in winter. Looking forward to another ride this year.

      Delete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Return to the track

Update for the last year