Tenterfield Travels

 I found myself with a 2 day window in which I could get away for a long overdue ride, so I packed the panniers, checked the bike and I was on my way.  A previous foray up the Brisbane Valley and beyond had shown me a lot of straight uninteresting roads so this time I set off in a south westerly direction.  First stop was at Beaudesert for fuel which I had calculated would see me through for the day's ride then a few mins later a quick photo stop at Rathdowney and I was on my way. 


Back on the bike and setting course for Casino via the Mt Lindesay Hwy and the Summerland Way.  Well, the first was as I remember it from every other time - rough, broken edges, a few good sections and plenty of tight twisties full of 4wds and caravans.  It had not been my intention to stop at Woodenbong however I hadn't yet had a coffee (the cup of hot milky mud from the servo doesn't count) so I took the few km detour into town and discovered where the real potholes hang out. The sort of potholes that damage cars and end rides however I managed to slalom my way through them and stopped at the cafe.  Well it would suffice to say that it was absolutely not worth the detour and in fact gave the servo coffee a run for it's money. 



Back on the bike and another slow ride through pothole city to reach the main road and a right turn to set course for Casino.  The very good condition of the Summerland Way along with just enough sweepers made me forget about the previous stop and I enjoyed the whole ride in very light traffic down to Casino. The fuel gauge was a bit lower than I had expected although it does underread and I'd done the maths so onward I pushed with a right turn onto the Bruxner Hwy and setting course for Tenterfield. 

A short way out of town I had a feeling that I should turn back and refuel to be conservative but no, I'd done the maths.  As I approached Tabulam I thought - bugger it I'll top up here - which turned out to be wishful thinking as I rolled through 'town' and not a bowser in sight. I think there might be fuel available at the ag store but too hard, push on.  Well the gauge was low and the last stretch into Tenterfield was a bit stressful but shouldn't have been as I'd done the maths - and I wasn't on reserve fuel yet.  So I roll into Tenterfield, fill up then head out to visit the Rail Museum before it closes which should have given me and hour or so but of course I had not allowed for daylight savings so I had a 20 min rush around before closing.  Still worth it and what a great collection. 










Closing time at the museum saw me head back to the main street and check into my accommodation for the night at the Peter Allen Motel (Tenterfield Saddler anyone?) 
Room was clean, quiet and a reasonable price for a country town but no meals and Good Friday the next day so across the road to Coles for some breakfast stuff and a couple of cool drinks for after dinner.  Dinner, hmm what to do?  Well it turns out that 30m outside the back gate is the Telegraph Hotel.  After a couple of cold beers and a great meal of rissoles, gravy and veges it was back to my room to relax for a couple of hours then an early night. 

The next day yielded no great photo opportunities although I didn't get to the Tenterfield Saddler building so that's on the list for next time.  The skies once again darkened and the goal became getting home in the minimum time which also usually means main highways and minimum enjoyment.  Well I can confirm that Casino across to the east then northbound all the way on the M1 does in fact meet the definition of minimum enjoyment. Although I got wet crossing the range the ride home was largely dry and I was home on schedule. 

Now to plan the next ride. 





Comments

Popular posts from this blog

2024 Mini Icicle Ride

Return to the track

Update for the last year