Track bike update
The first half of 2024 was productive however the second half not so much. In the last two sessions of my third (and as it turns out, final) track day for the year in July my GSXR started hesitating and losing power around 9000rpm. This is far from ideal as when entering fast sections of the track the bikes behind aren't expecting the guy in front to slow right down and it's dangerous for all.
My first thought was contaminated fuel although I would have thought the problem would exist across the rev range if that was the case but I've been assured by other riders that it could just be that when reaching the higher demand level that the problem appears. So I've consigned the jerry tank of fuel to the mower/edger/pressure cleaner (which are running fine on it). I removed the fuel tank and took it to my local mechanic who replaced the fuel pump motor and cleaned the fuel filter screen and around the fuel feed intake. There was a fair bit of gunk there and I thought it odd that when I had the initial once over done on the bike that this wasn't included.
The tank is now back on the bike and next step is to get some fresh fuel, fire it up and see how it runs and I'm calibrating a dipstick as I fill it up 5L at a time as I have a known reference of the tank being totally empty. I'll then need to get it onto a dyno to safely get it up to race RPM to see if the problem still exists - if it does then the next step is replace the TPS (throttle position sensor). Dyno will be about the same cost as a track day but a lot safer if the problem still persists!
Hopefully I'll be back at the track in late Feb or March with a fully functioning bike!




Comments
Post a Comment