What is old is new again - back to Manila

*** I recommend clicking on the link at the bottom of the email to view the blog online in a better format ***    

Edit:  I suppose I should mention the work aspect - the air traffic controlling is only marginally better than twenty years ago, the hills still as big and the taxiways still bodgy although some repair work has occured.  Fortunately we arrived in clear conditions, albeit at 2am. 

I have been to Manila many times but my last visit was five years ago and then previously many years before that.  It was never a hugely popular trip as the water front hotel was a way back from the water due to reclamation (with associated noise problems)  and the local area was sketchy which meant staying in the hotel the whole time or a taxi ride to eat and drink.  


In welcome news we are now at a different, much better hotel in arguably the best part of Manila being the banking/diplomatic quarter.  Safe, pleasant and plenty of amenities including a Tobys Estate cafe behind the hotel on the high street.  Oh and there's a few local cats that live in the gardens on the high street and are fed and looked after by a volunteer group.  

















I also paid a visit to the Manila American Cemetery and Memorial which was a 20 min walk from the hotel.  Very sobering to gaze over such a huge number of fallen soldiers - mostly American but also some of the Philippine Scouts who fought alongside them.  



Lest we Forget. 







Comments

Popular posts from this blog

2024 Mini Icicle Ride

Return to the track

Update for the last year